#1 Best Selling IGNOU BEGE-108 Help-Book & Study-Guide in IGNOU Marketplaces.
Get Good Marks in your BA English Programme in the Term-End Exams even if you are busy in your job or profession.
We've sold over 33,533,050 Help Books and Delivered 40,127,748 Assignments Since 2002.
As our customers will tell you...yes, it really result-oriented.
IGNOU BEGE-108 Code Details
IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University)
Reading the Novel
Generic Electives (GE)
Buy BEGE-108 Help Book
IGNOU BEGE-108 English Topics Covered
Block 1 - The Novel: An Introduction
- Unit 1 - The Novel: A Literary Genre
- Unit 2 - Aspects of the Novel–I
- Unit 3 - Aspects of the Novel–II
- Unit 4 - Contextualising Kate Chopin's the Awakening
- Unit 5 - Locating the Awakening: Background and Contexts
- Unit 6 - Critical Responses to the Awakening
- Unit 7 - Critical Approaches to the Awakening: Feminist, Psychoanalytical, Others
Block 2 - A Tale of Two Cities
- Unit 1 - Introductory: A Tale of Two Cities
- Unit 2 - Reading the Text-Books I & II
- Unit 3 - Reading the Text-Book III
- Unit 4 - The French Revolution
- Unit 5 - Dickens's Treatment of the French Revolution
- Unit 6 - The Two Worlds of a Tale of Two Cities
- Unit 7 - Dickens's Humanism and Social Concerns
Block 3 - Things Fall Apart
- Unit 1 - Africa: A Brief Historical Survey
- Unit 2 - The African Novel in English: An Introduction
- Unit 3 - Literature and Society in Nigeria
- Unit 4 - Chinua Achebe: Life and Works
- Unit 5 - Things Fall Apart: Detailed Analysis
- Unit 6 - Specific Features of Things Fall Apart
Block 4 - Attia Hosain: Sunlight on a Broken Column
- Unit 1 - Introduction to the Writer and the Indian Novel in English
- Unit 2 - Reading the Novel
- Unit 3 - Themes and Women Characters
- Unit 4 - Structure of the Novel
- Unit 5 - Critical Assessment
Block 5 - Paraja
- Unit 1 - Paraja: An Introduction
- Unit 2 - The Cultural Context of Paraja
- Unit 3 - Tribal Life as Reflected in Paraja
- Unit 4 - Paraja: A Novel in Translation
- Unit 5 - Theme and Plot
- Unit 6 - Paraja in Indian English Literature
Block 6 - The Novel: A Retrospective
- Unit 1 - The Novel: A Conclusion
- Unit 2 - Critical Perspectives on the Novel
- Unit 3 - The Indian English Novel
- Unit 4 - The Novel of the Diaspora
- Unit 5 - Future of the Novel
IGNOU BEGE-108 (July 2023 - January 2024) Assignment Questions
1. Write short notes on any two:
a) Structure and form of the novel.
b) The Indian English Novel after independence.
c) Women writers of the mid- twentieth century
d) The novel of the Diaspora
2. Would you agree that Dickens is a humanistic writer? Discuss your answer based on your reading of A Tale of Two Cities, No. 1 Branch Line: The Signal and any other novel by Dickens that you might have read.
3. Attempt an analysis of Achebe as a postcolonial writer. On the basis of on Things Fall Apart, and the other novels discussed in your study material.
4. Analyse Sunlight on a Broken Column as a partition novel told through the eyes of a child narrator. Does the type of narrator make a difference to the way in which events are perceived?
5. Read Paraja as an example of a subaltern novel. Does the ‘subaltern finally speak’? Give a detailed and reasoned answer.
IGNOU BEGE-108 (July 2022 - January 2023) Assignment Questions
1. Write short notes on any four:
a) Difference between a character and a caricature
b) Narrative modes and their types with merits and demerits
c) Humanistic concerns of Dickens
d) Portrayal of Poverty and Humanism by Dickens
e) Factors responsible for the Development of novel-writing in Africa.
f) Language and style of Things Fall Apart
2. Paraja depicts the rise and fall in fortunes of a tribal patriarch Sukru Jani and his family due to a complex network of social and economic circumstances. Comment.
3. What does Malgudi imply in R. K. Narayan’s novel and stories?
4. Comment on the major themes in the novels of Shashi Deshpande.
5. What is cultural assimilation? How does it affect markers of individuals in diasporic communities?
6. Write a critical note on the 19th century background against and how did it help shape ‘The Awakening’.Buy BEGE-108 Assignment
BEGE-108 Previous Years Question Papers