1) Write short notes on the following by giving examples:
i) Difference between phonetics and phonology
ii) Morpheme and its types
iii) Conversion and its types
iv) Grammatical features of noun phrase
2a) Write the phonetic transcription of the following words. Then mark the stress.
2b) What are consonants? Write a detailed description of the different types of consonants in English.
3a) Place these words in the appropriate column based on the number of syllables they contain.
3b) What are affixes? Discuss pre-fixation and different types of prefixes in detail. Illustrate your answer with examples.
4a) State which of the following sentences are compound and which are complex?
1. The house was destroyed in the fire, but the whole family was saved.
2. If I do not get this job, I will start a business.
3. He said that he was so disappointed that he would not try again.
4. The men who rule the world with their pens are mightier than those who rule the world with their swords.
5. Neither the colour nor the design of this cloth appeals to me.
4b) What are the different types of questions? Give examples.
4c) Convert these statements into questions:
1. I live in a beautiful village located in Tamil Nadu.
2. Yes, he arrived at 5 p.m.
3. I graduated from IGNOU in 2020.
4. Mahima gave a book to Ravi on his birthday.
5. In October we celebrate Dusshera.
5) Negative the following sentences.
i Sarita responded to the student query immediately.
ii. Rohit will never visit his grandfather.
iii I only have a few books on linguistics.
iv There is nobody in that ghost town.
v COVID 19 vaccines have reached every corner of the world.
6a) Giving examples, write briefly about illocutionary force of different types of sentences.
6b) Identify the sentence type and the illocutionary force for each of them:
1. Have a great day
2. How funny he is!
3. Get well soon
4. Will you come back tomorrow?
5. Please share your email address
7a) Rewrite the following sentences by using the words in bold as indicated in the brackets:
The first one is done for you.
1. Anita speaks in a bold manner. (adverb) ---Anita speaks boldly
2. Annie is independent and confident. (noun)
3. Raju cooks delicious food. (adverb)
4. Mothers take care of their children wholeheartedly. (adjective)
5. This university serves a large section of student population through online mode. (noun)
7b) Place these subordinating conjunctions (if, because, what, so that, when) into the gaps in the sentences given below:
i. Please come early tomorrow __________we can finish the report on time.
ii Mohan will reach on time ____________ it does not rain.
iii Sushant and Amrita migrated to Canada _______________ they wanted to start their own business on North America.
iv This monument is very old. No one knows________ it was built.
v Yesterday after the tournament____________ the captain said was unbelievable.