Writing a book involves lots of hardships, patience and time. Once the book gets completed, publishing is another challenging task. Before getting your book published, you must ensure that the final product must be in great shape. Nowadays, most of the writers are avoiding traditional publishing and prefer self-publishing. One of the key reasons for more and more authors opting for self-publishing is a considerable decrease in the cost due to ample growth in digital opportunities. Undoubtedly, Self-publishing is an attractive term in terms of money, but as we all know that success follows hardships.
The first and foremost benefit of self-publishing book is that rates of royalty are higher. According to experts, the royalty rates from traditional publisher are only 15 to 20% of the total revenues generated. On the other hand, kindle ebooks are paying 35 to 70 percent, Apple are paying 55 percent and Barnes & Noble are paying 65 percent.
With the digitization of world around us, there is considerable transformation in the publishing industry. Earlier, publishers were the major requisite for the writers to make their books reach the readers. All the distribution operations were handled by the publishers. Cost of book production was certainly a non-feasible task for the author.
If you are planning to self-publish your book then take it on your stride. You want to publish your book in an artisanal way with complete control over everything like cover, inner design and marketing. Books have a limited life in a book store i.e. from 30 to 60 days, whereas digital books will be available forever. The cost of final product in self publishing might be from $500 to $3000, but outcome will be great.
Besides all the above mentioned advantage, the author needs to overcome a few challenge of self-publishing. Some of them are listed below:
- Publishers have carved a strong niche for themselves. Publishing a book from them is like getting a solid launch. As they are in the publication industry from long time, they have great networks from all the major publications which are catering to wider audience.
- Another major drawback of digital publishing is that most of the authors are trying to seek attention or gain instant fame, which leads to scarcity of real good books. To get a genuine good book, reader has to surf hard. As an author, it is your responsibility to write for a good reason and has some valuable thought to share.
- If you are saving money by not appointing a professional copy editor then you are committing a blunder. As an author, you would not be able to find out mistake. On the contrary, copyeditor is skilled to find out those hidden errors. Thus, you must learn to differentiate between the skills of copy-editing and writing.
- You must appoint a professional graphic designer to design the cover of your book. Cover is the face of the book and one of the most important parts of marketing strategy. The cover ought to be so attractive that the reader will be curious to know about it.
- Building an appropriate as well as strong marketing platform is certainly one of the major highlights of self-publishing. When you start writing the book, you need to start the process of marketing as well. The marketing process will take a year till your book completes. By the end of your book, you have already formed a great base with thousands of followers on social media.
- It would be advisable to test the appearance of your book in each platform. It is not necessary that it will appear same in all.
- A strong marketing of a self-publish is certainly a major requisite. There are huge range of social media forums which are cost effective and result-oriented like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest and Linkedin. However, it would be advisable to opt for traditional method of PR as well. It might be bit expensive, but there is assure return on this investment.
- You must request your followers for feedback. Their feedback will have miraculous results on the final product.
- Another major challenge that the author has to face while self-publishing is low-quality, badly edited and poor marketing. Traditional publisher has in house editor, graphic designer and proof reader. Thus, there will be no compromise at any point of time.
- To avoid so much stress of publication and marketing, it would be beneficial to go for traditional publishers. You need to send a proposal and submit the manuscript to the publication house. The in-house editor will determine whether the manuscript has the potential to get published or not. Once the publishing decision is made, rights of the book will be bought from the author by paying royalty. This will be followed by rest of the work on book like proof reading, packaging, designing, printing and marketing.
Various new publication houses have made debut in the publishing industry and looking for some new stories and interesting concepts to hit the market. Gullybaba is one such publishing house, who is renowned for offering authors a solid platform to showcase their work.
Self publishing has certainly its own set of advantages and disadvantages. For instance, you have complete control over the book when you decide to self-publish, as you can manage cost, marketing, cover etc. On the other hand, the major disadvantage is that you are doing it all alone, as there is no publisher in the background who is managing things. Thus, you need to have some technical and management skills.
Self-publishing is a complete learning phase about book publishing. You will understand things in a sharper way and will be able to generate more revenue. A traditional publisher will give you 10% of the total revenue generated and keep 90% with him. But, you need not worry about the rest of significant things of publishing which will be completely managed by the publication house. According to experts, various renowned editors, designers and marketers are working independently. Thus, if you are planning to self-publish you can avail their services.
You can overcome all the challenges of self publishing, if you act smartly. All you need to do is to create a must do list and follow it religiously.
The first and foremost step for making yourself publishing decision a great success is by selecting the title and subtitle of your book accurately. A suitable and attractive title will play key role in attracting the readers’ attention to your book. The second step is to hire a renowned professional editor or proof reader. While self-publishing your book, this will certainly play the major role in the making your book a big success. Finally, you must have a renowned or expert cover designer. In order to save money, do not do it yourself. It may prove disastrous and all your efforts will go in vain. So, check out all the pros and cons of self-publishing or traditional publishing of a book and go ahead.
If you are looking to publish a book in India or looking for top publishers in India who can walk through you in your journey then Gullybaba Publishing House are one of the few publishers whom you can trust.
Gullybaba How To Become a Self Published Author Check Now Our Publishing Packages