Since air pollution has reached at alarming level, it is high time, we did our damndest to safeguard ourselves from its numerous health hazards.
Given below are the ways that will help you make less vulnerable to the air pollution:
1. Monitor the Air Quality Index(AQI) with the help of Sameer App from November to January. If it shows the value less than 300, you can resort to light physical activities like jogging, cycling, etc. If it is higher than 300, suspend all the outdoor activities in early morning, like running, jogging, cycling, gym and other sports. You can however perform YOGA is the evening. If the AQI is less than 200, you can resume all these activities without looking at the air.
2. If AQI is higher than 350, do not send your child of less than 7 years of age. Ask school administration to suspend all its outdoor movement meant for the age group 0-7 years. Allow your kids to go out only in the afternoon hours.
3. Do not sweep/mop in morning hours. It will re-suspend all settled particles in air. It will help you breathe in fresh air if you use wet mopping and that too with warm water. Add a pinch of baking soda in it to make mopping more effective.
4. Do not use Agarbatti in the months of November-January. Instead, use ghee lamp.
5. Mind, highways, main roads are the greatest source of air pollution. So, avoid walking on such roads. Instead, walk on side lanes/footpaths.
6. Do not burn anything in open. If someone is doing so, raise an alarm or inform CPCB on its website.
How to increase protection
1. While riding bike or walking outdoor, wear a good quality of N95/99 mask(Venues/3M masks) are really good; at least use handkerchief. It also protects to a great extent.
2. When you start your car, the first thing that you should do is to open your windows and recirculate indoor air to outdoor air for 2 minutes. It will help dilute CO concentration. CO is lethal. Also, run the AC of your car for some time in indoor circulation. Every car has AC filters which reduce PM 2.5 substantially.
3. If possible, use Air Purifier in home(only with Hepa, carbon & pre filter); specially in kids’ room, old age, sensitive population(those who have respiratory problem) and pregnant ladies.
4. Ventilate your house between 3 to 5 PM everyday; this is the best time during day where PM 2.5 levels are the lowest on a brighter sunny day.
5. Sprinkle water in your surroundings. It will help settle the pollutants.
Some other measures that will help bring down the level of air pollution:
1. Increase intake of Vitamin C, Vitamin E and beta carotene. It will help increase immunity.
2. Eat jaggery/Gud. The intake of jiggery will flush out pollutants from lungs. Replace processed sugar with jaggery in all your preparations or consume jaggery as it is.
“Issued in Public Interest”